Chitika

Friday 30 September 2011

Quiz 29 | English for IBPS – Part 9 | Fill in the Blanks

Directions—(Q. 1–10) In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.

My father …(1)… a small estate in Punjab; I …(2)… the third of five sons. When, I was fourteen years …(3) …, my father sent me to college. But as it was expensive, I …(4)… after staying there for three years. I was then apprenticed to Mr. Bose, a well known surgeon. I worked …(5)…him for four years. During this period, my father would send me some money, which I used to study navigation, because I always felt that I would one day …(6)… to faraway lands.

When I …(7)… Mr. Bose, my father sent me to medical college. After …(8)… three years there, Mr. Bose got me the position of doctor on a ship. I …(9)… on the ship for three and a half years, after which I thought I would settle down in Kolkata. My master Mr. Bose used to send me some of his patients and I bought a small house. After a …(10)…, I got married to a local girl.

1. (A) live
(B) sell
(C) owned
(D) own
(E) lived
Ans : (C)

2. (A) was
(B) had
(C) for
(D) is
(E) wanted
Ans : (A)

3. (A) aged
(B) older
(C) elder
(D) age
(E) old
Ans : (E)

4. (A) leave
(B) went
(C) gone
(D) left
(E) go
Ans : (D)

5. (A) of
(B) under
(C) within
(D) to
(E) off
Ans : (B)

6. (A) visited
(B) travel
(C) flying
(D) visit
(E) travelling
Ans : (B)

7. (A) with
(B) finished
(C) leave
(D) wait
(E) left
Ans : (E)

8. (A) spent
(B) study
(C) complete
(D) nearly
(E) casual
Ans : (D)

9. (A) ran
(B) work
(C) stayed
(D) sleep
(E) travel
Ans : (C)

10. (A) while
(B) brief
(C) pause
(D) time
(E) stay
Ans : (A)

No comments:

Post a Comment